Thursday, December 8

NERDS for 6 points!

So, I have a geek confession to make. Heather and I have had a scrabble fixation lately. We've played about a dozen games over the last month-and-a-half. It's fun because we're pretty evenly matched (although Heather has the lead in the series), and it feels better than sitting in front of the TV watching something neither of us has any interest in.

I think it started when I watched Word Wars.

Scrabble in itself is not necessarily a nerd's obsession, no matter what the pictures, hobbies (Siamese Cats?), and professions (numismatist?) of the experts might lead one to believe (Check out Marlon Hill's Occupation and Hobbies).

No, my nerdity does not spring only from the playing of scrabble.

It goes much further than that:

I've entered our scores into an excel spreadsheet and graphed them. See, here's a graph of our average scores:



There, I've said it.

(Our scores are trending up quite nicely, don't you think? I'll resist the urge to add a trendline)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that you graphed your scrabble scores! The Joyces are huge scrabble fans, and every holiday we look forward (or dread) playing with Ben's grandma, who is known for her seven letter words using triple word score spaces! It's a great obsession. Much better than TV.

Daniel said...

Nerd.

Ronaldo said...

Nerd perhaps, but how else does one discover how many Q words there are that don't need a U? Tile on brother, tile on.

Anonymous said...

I hope that score on the 23rd didn't involve someone playing an 'extra' blank by placing a piece upside down. That kind of cheating is grounds for table-flipping in the Foster household.

Aaron said...

Dude, that score was on my birthday, and I got 2 bingoes in the game. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, you wouldn't understand).