Monday, May 15

Motherluvin

We had a great Mothers' day weekend. Some notes:

1. On Saturday night, we went to see Sesame Street Live at the Denver Coliseum (Claim to fame: it's right next door to the dogfood/glue factory). The ceiling of the coliseum was dotted by a graveyard of elmo-head balloons. It was a decent production, and had a good message, part of which involved cookie monster learning to "eat his colors" in order to get a well-rounded diet (pretty clever way to get kids to recognize the value of nutritional diversity and poke holes in the "wonderbread is nutritious" mythology). During this section, some giant vegetables came on stage and danced around, and Pete leaned over to me and said "Those are probably just costumes". Pete and his cousin enjoyed the show, but I wasn't sure if the educational value had soaked in until last night, at dinner, Pete announced "I'm a crazy cookie monster, and I'm eating my colors!"

2. Yesterday and today, I've been really feeling Mothers' Day. I'm so lucky to have such great moms in my life. I spent all of yesterday going in and out of misty-eyed choked up joy, watching Heather with our kids. She's amazing. I'm very impressed by skillful mothering, and I appreciate it more now that I'm a parent. When I was a kid, I didn't think about how much giving my mom did. I know now that kids are constantly asking (verbally or not) for a parent's physical and emotional energy, and it's not easy to give as much as my mom did (and does). As experts always do, good mothers (like my mom, Heather, and her mom) make it look easy.

I'm continually reminded that quality of mothering, good or bad, echoes through a person's whole life, and usually following generations. In 25 or 30 years, Nora's husband (please allow me to make a couple of assumptions here) will sit down and be speechlessly thankful that his kids have a strong, independent, nurturing mother, and then he'll think about Nora's mother, and Nora's grandmothers, and how beautiful it is that good bedtime story skills and protective playground instincts can be passed down just as much as nose shapes and hair color.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Roomie,
I echo your comments - not just about the moms in your life (who I think the world of) - but also the wonderful moms that I have been blessed to be around for the past 28 years. And like Heather does for you, Rebekah inspires me daily to be a better husband and father! Well said, friend! -dtr

Anonymous said...

Absolute truth and beauty. Good God you are a wonderful wordsmith ... has Hallmark contacted you yet about some tear jerking, yet clever cards?

Oh the sweet sadness of elmo head graveyards ... sounds like a song i should write.

Your blog could actually inspire alot of songs. I am actually writing one about the "blissful summer" you and heather spoke of in Portland.