Monday, August 15

The Ascent



So, in 5 days, 23 hours, and 47 minutes, I'm going to be running up Pikes Peak. Some would consider me crazy, and I'm not so sure anymore of my own mental health. The Pikes Peak Ascent is a 13.3 mile course that gains about 1.5 miles in elevation. The photo above is a webcam view from the summit right now. Go here for more views.



Matt Carpenter, the man who holds all the records, and who is also known as the "lung with legs", has written an exhaustive course description for anyone concerned about every root and big rock along the course.

So, I should be feeling like I'm in the best shape of my life, right? I've been training all summer, and since May 31st, when I started obsessively tracking every detail of my training, I've run for 46.5 hours. That's about 270 miles.

Nevertheless, I'm not sure I'm ready. Even at 270 miles so far this summer, I'm 64 miles short of my plan. Having a new baby right at the supposed peak of training disrupted things somewhat. At least that'll be my excuse. Frankly, I'm tired of thinking about it every waking moment. Last night, Matt Carpenter was in one of my dreams. I was running a relay up the peak with my Dad and Sayid from the TV show "Lost". We were going to win, but Matt stepped on Sayid's ankle near the summit, and he couldn't finish. Darn it.

For the sake of accountability, I'd like to announce my goal to the world (or at least to the 10 people who check this site, 8 of whom are Dan). I'm aiming to finish in 4:20. That'd put me just above the average finishing time, and would qualify me to start in the 1st wave next year, if I should forget myself and choose this torture again. Or I could be like this guy.

It'll be a beautiful run.

4 comments:

Aaron said...

It's not all about drugs, dude.

Daniel said...

Rock, how did i forget you were doing this? I am excited you entered this challenge.

Today i was talking with a friend about David (bible david). David says yes (answers the call) - Goliath comes, David meets Goliath.

Just over 4 hours sounds like a great goal.

Aaron said...

Dan,
I keep forgetting to tell you, and then wanting to tell you, and then forgetting again. It'll be fun. We'll see. If I like it, you should do it with me next year.

Anonymous said...

Hey there son of ours...

Good luck tomorrow. More than luck though. We wish you well on each and every step you take. 4:20 straight up hill. We will be there to cheer you at the start and walk with you at the finish.

Love you
mom