Thursday, August 18

Home Depot Intricacy

The woman behind us in line last night at Home Depot said:

"Mmmm, all of this wood smells so good..."

My mind: Yeah, it sure does. Reminds me of wood shop in Junior High, or working on my pinewood derby car with my dad for the big Cub Scout competition. We smashed up architectural pencil leads for the graphite axle lubrication. I didn't win, but I didn't lose. The cars that won were much more complex than mine, which was a simple wedge shape, painted red white and blue with cool 1980's splatter paint effects. The boys whose cars lost had obviously received very little help from their fathers, which was a little sad, and something not to be talked about. I like the smell of fresh cut wood.

Home Depot Lady: It smells like Hamsters!

My mind: Wha???

5 comments:

k said...

I agree with the home depot lady: it does smell like hamsters (the shavings you put in the cage, anyway).

But your connection is much better than the hamster connection. Nice to know you can look forward to moments like that with your own kids one day.

Aaron said...

K,

You're right of course, just after she said it, I had to admit it to myself that Home Depot does smell somewhat like hamsters. Minus the poop.

Heather Hansen said...

I spit my coffee out when I got to the "hamster" line. Too funny!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't like hamsters, remind me to much of RATS!! Hey, where are the new pictures??

Anonymous said...

yes what a beautifully awkward moment that was. I guffawed ... i hate guffawing out of politeness when you don't know what to say to such a comment.

Great story telling as always good sir.