Friday, June 23

Evolution and Innovation

The other day, while running, I had a thought about the connection between evolution and innovation. I'm no biologist, and avoided the subject efficiently in school, but it seems to me that evolution doesn't make sense unless, at some point, there's a fish that wonders what to do with these weird proto-legs sprouting from his abdomen (something that no other fish has ever had) and decides to walk up onto the beach, where NO OTHER LIVING CREATURE HAS EVER WALKED.

It makes it seem so dramatic, and it's an interesting connection between biology and individual initiative. If that unique, genetically mutated fish decides to just go along his way, doing the same things as the other fish, he never discovers his new niche to succeed in, and he never raises special landlubber babies because all of the lady fish think he's weird and deformed, not innovative and sexy.

If I had the attention span, I'd write an essay about this. At least give me credit when the book entitled "The sand between my fishy toes: how innovation can change your career, and your life!" makes the bestseller list.

No comments: