Friday, June 9

My Bro's Show



My brilliant artist brother, Troy, is in a group show this month in Portland, Oregon. The show is called grey|area and it's at the guestroom gallery.

Here's a nice quote from TJ Norris, the curator of the show:
Curating is a full-time role. With thirteen artists from Los Angeles to British Columbia (eight from Portland), twenty-two works of art and gauging chance we are now on view. The gallery, if you haven't already visited, is a lovely 1000 square foot space that lay just under the Wonder Ballroom and is adjacent to Mark Woolley's Annex Gallery. This exhibition gave me the opportunity to work and exhibit with some of my favorite artists on the West Coast, both established and independent. The dialogue focused around issues of abstract transluscence, atonal minimalism and the psychology of the surface.

Troy does really good work. It looks like a good show, and it seems to be getting a fair bit of buzz in Stumptown.

To be honest, the art scene is fairly incomprehensible to me most of the time. I know what I like when I see it, but it's tough for me to judge what will or won't make it in "the scene". So although I like Troy's work, and proudly own a handful of pieces of it myself, I'm not sure what other people think of it. I have to judge by indirect measures, and those all look good. For example, wherever I see a listing for the show, Troy is one of the few listed as one of the participating artists. Like here:
"So-called theme-less, non-narrative, conceptual and abstract minimalism are part of the blurred-line of focus for this show, which could be really strong. Curated by TJ Norris. The 13 selected West Coast artists include Troy Briggs, Ty Ennis, Scott Wayne Indiana, Laura Fritz and Ellen George."

Here's another good review courtesy of Urban Honking.

and another courtesy of the major daily newspaper in Portland, The Oregonian.

Here's a link to where you can see a few more of Troy's drawings:

link

Good job, Troy, and Happy Birthday.

More of the art:








These are on my mantle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Troys house paintings are brilliant. I love the interpretation of the modern dwelling. so flat and unwelcoming in the walkway, but the house is inviting yet feels far away. Very powerful images. thanks for sharing his art, I really admire his work.